What Are Stretch Marks
Stretch marks are also called Striae Distensae, SD, striae, striae atrophicans and striae gravidarum. They are dermal scars or disfiguring lesions characterized by flattening and atrophy (wasting or degeneration) of the epidermis (the outermost layer of the skin).
Stretch marks are linear, smooth bands on the skin that, depending on skin color, can appear as red or purple and which fade over time to leave silvery pale marks.
Stretch marks are long, narrow streaks that are visible on the surface of the skin as a result of sudden stretching of the skin.
Occurring in 40-90% of women, stretch marks appear following rapid repeated over-stretching of the skin over weak connective tissue.
The most common areas affected are the;
The prevalence of stretch marks ranges from 40-90%, depending on race, age and sex
- Both sexes are affected by stretch marks.
- Around 70% of girls develop stretch marks during puberty.
- Around 40% of boys develop stretch marks during puberty.
- Stretch marks can occur during pregnancy, puberty, after rapid weight gain, during various medical conditions and after using certain medications.
- Stretch marks often appear after the 25th week of pregnancy.
- Common areas for stretch marks to arise include the abdomen, breasts, hips, flank, buttocks and thighs.
- Stretch marks are more common in younger pregnant women.
Treatments For Stretch Marks & Striae
What’s The Next Step?
Buy Treatment Now or Get a ‘No Obligation’ Consultation at The Skin & Laser Clinic.
All new patients are required to have a consultation prior to commencing any treatment. Consultations are both free of charge and obligation free. We listen to your concerns, assess your skin and evaluate your medical history before advising on the best and most affordable treatment plan to suit your needs.
Book Appointment Online
Call For Appointment
Call Us Today
- No Obligation
- Free Diagnosis
Mobile: 0416 779 989